The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Assistant Plant Manager opportunity, you will need:
- An ongoing commitment to and experience in improving safety as a top priority.
- Solid experience (3-5 years) working as an Assistant Plant Manager or Operations Manager in a high-speed manufacturing / industrial environment. Experience in facilities with regimented process controls is preferred.
- A track record of success in driving sustained improvements in safety, quality, productivity and/or efficiency, using methodology such as lean, visual management, 5S, Kaizen, Six Sigma, TPM, AM, PM, with the ability develop strategy that fits each improvement opportunity
- Experience working in a bilingual workplace, and fluency in English and Spanish.
- Solid management experience and leadership skill in working with diverse groups, multiple levels, and decentralized departments.
- The ability to develop and help implement standard operating procedures (SOPs), job work instructions and other plant policies.
- Experience managing and developing improvement strategy to operation budgets.
- Mid- to high-level knowledge of OSHA regulations and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of production equipment and machinery including uptime and reliability experience.
- Working knowledge of TPM, AM and PM, and the ability to teach, train, and facilitate these processes.
- A strong collaborative management style that empowers employees.
- Exceptional interpersonal and management skills and the ability to earn credibility and gain buy-in.
- Outstanding relationship building skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and command of basic math functions.
- Flexibility and solid multitasking skills.
- The ability to work independently and meet goals autonomously, including developing, teaching and following up on improvement activity.
The RoleYou will report to the Plant Manager, who oversees operations in a facility producing stone veneer products. The facility is a manufacturing plant combined with warehouse that comprise about 432,000 square feet. You'll have five direct reports -- four in production and one in maintenance. There's a total staff of approximately 240 employees. Your direct reports are involved in all aspects of production and maintenance, including overseeing various processes, including pouring, pulling, packaging, raw materials, and quality.
The plant has four production lines, PLC-controlled belt conveyors that are fed by auto batching mixers. We run three shifts a day, six days a week: two production shifts and a short cleaning/preventative maintenance shift. You'll primarily work during the day on a schedule that overlaps the two production shifts.
You will invest the majority of your time out on the floor, overseeing all production activities to support your teams, drive continuous improvement processes, monitor employee involvement, and more. More specifically, your activities will include:
- Directing the production team in all aspects of safety, quality, adherence to production schedule, labor efficiency, waste management and cost.
- Improving standards and manufacturing quality by working closely with the QC department to ensure product quality based on conformance to specification.
- Ensuring preventive maintenance and timely repair of all production equipment.
- Proactively maintaining safety measures for all production employees while working with the Safety Committee.
- Identifying safety and ergonomics opportunities and improving process control.
- Utilizing Six Sigma or related statistical process control skills to initiate process improvements.
- Troubleshooting and resolving process issues as they occur.
- Engaging manufacturing leadership and the Engineering team for support, as required.
- Aggressively addressing quality issues that arise and educating supervisors on remedies.
- Utilizing lean manufacturing concepts to improve labor efficiency.
- Assisting in the hiring of all new production employees as well as annual employee evaluations.
- Developing standard operating procedures (SOPs) with the support of the Engineering team.
- Supporting the development of job safety / job hazard analyses for production and maintenance personnel.
- Supporting the development of key indicators and metrics that will ultimately tie to plant efficiencies.
- Creating a reporting format to communicate plant efficiency results to plant associates.
- Coaching, training and leading a dedicated group of floor supervisors for each department of production.
- Engaging directly in good communication with Production Management teams, Purchasing, Engineering, Production Planning and the Safety Committee.
- Providing relief for Plant Manager as required.
What's in It for YouEnjoy visibility and make your mark
We kicked off our lean program initiative in October 2012 and are committed to making changes within both our culture and processes. The initiative is backed by Boral Corporate and Greencastle is serving as the pilot site, meaning there will be a great deal of visibility at the highest levels. This is a tremendous opportunity for an assistant plant manager with a passion for lean methodology and the mindset to embrace and sustain continuous improvement, to come and in make a mark that will last into the future.
Showcase your talent and this role could open other doors within the company. This is a position that you can make your own and be challenged in for years to come, but if you are hungry to advance, we anticipate opportunities for proven performers. From this role you could move to a plant manager position or, depending upon your skill and goals, follow another path.
Our people are our most valuable resource
If you're looking for a place where you can make a home, be challenged and grow your career, you've found it! We run collaborative teams, respect individual and team contributions and we know people enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity.
In addition to a competitive salary we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match.
Pictured: Cultured Stone® veneers are unique design elements that offer many ways to help transform your home into a tangible expression of your dreams.
Keys to SuccessOf course you will need all of the experience you've already earned, but success in this role will require more than technical skill. Your skill as a leader who can promote a culture of continuous improvement will be pivotal to your success. An authoritarian approach won't work in our organization. If, however, your style is collaborative and positive, you'll be able to leverage team spirit and pride -- there are friendly competitions among the plants to deliver the best metrics. You should be as comfortable handling challenging administrative and human resource issues as you are resolving issues on the production floor.
This is a role that cannot be managed from behind a desk. You should be visible and approachable, spending about 75% of your time on the floor, getting to know your employees and everything about the operation. We're looking for a leader who can get the best from the team and increase efficiency and profitability. You'll need to be comfortable interacting with all levels, from the employees on the floor to corporate leadership.
Overall, you will be evaluated in four core areas:
- Consistent safe, production of high quality products.
- Adherence to stated lead times and efficiency requirements.
- Effective management of supervisors and plant employees.
- Your ability to meet plant goals as assigned and agreed upon.
Build something greatTMBoral is an international building and construction materials group headquartered in Sydney, Australia. With some A$4.3 billion worth of sales, Boral had 8,334 full-time equivalent employees working across over 550 operating sites as at 30 June 2016.
Boral produces and distributes a broad range of construction materials, including quarry products, cement, fly ash, pre-mix concrete and asphalt; and building products, including clay bricks and pavers, clay and concrete roof tiles, concrete masonry products, timber, plasterboard, and lightweight trim and siding. Boral primarily serves customers in the building and construction industries with operations concentrated in three key geographical markets - Australia, the USA and Asia.
Boral North America has national fly ash and concrete block businesses and a Denver construction materials business. The fly ash business processes and distributes coal combustion products nationally in the USA, including operations at electrical utility plants, fly ash terminals, and sales offices. With cementitious properties, fly ash is used as a cement substitute in the construction industry.
The concrete block business manufactures products in Texas and Louisiana for commercial and residential construction. Boral has a number three market position in the Denver concrete market with five operating concrete batching plants and three sand and gravel deposits.
Boral North America has a leading portfolio of building products manufacturing and distribution operations across USA and Canada. Boral has market leading positions in manufactured stone veneer for residential and commercial cladding markets, with manufacturing and distribution across the USA.
Boral has a full high-end roofing offering, including concrete and clay roof tiles, composite polymer roofing products and stone coated metal roofing.
The Light Building Products business comprises Boral TruExterior® Siding and Trim, which is based on Boral's patented fly ash and polymer composite technologies, as well as PVC or vinyl trim and siding products, including shutters, decking and railing. The Windows business manufactures vinyl trim windows for the new residential construction market.
Formed in November 2016, Meridian Brick is a 50:50 joint venture between Boral Bricks and Forterra Brick, two of North America's most respected brickmaking organizations. Meridian Brick serves construction organizations and suppliers throughout the USA and Canada with a comprehensive portfolio of brick and masonry solutions for commercial and residential structures.